Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne to stand trial for alleged aggravated sexual assault

Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne to stand trial for alleged aggravated sexual assault

Updated

July 03, 2019 17:33:39

Former rugby league star Jarryd Hayne has been committed to stand trial on charges of aggravated sexual assault of a woman in the NSW Hunter region.

Key points:

  • The former NRL star has had his bail varied to attend ministry training in Perth
  • He is to stand trial on two counts of aggravated sexual assault
  • He must report to police three times a week and cannot consume alcohol

It is alleged Mr Hayne travelled to the Hunter on NRL grand final night in September last year after meeting a 26-year-old woman on social media.

He is accused of having sex with the woman without her consent and is facing two charges of aggravated sexual assault — inflicting actual bodily harm.

In Newcastle Local Court today ahead of being committed to trial, Mr Hayne’s lawyer applied to have his bail conditions varied so he could participate in a Christian training program at a ministry in Western Australia.

Prosecutor Hamish Fitzharding opposed the bail variations due to concerns about community safety and Mr Hayne leaving the state.

Mr Hayne’s lawyer Richard Pontello presented two letters to the court from Youth With A Mission in Perth.

He told the court Mr Hayne would be living in dormitory accommodation with adult males only and that should alleviate concerns about safety.

The court also heard Youth With A Mission were “aware of the nature of the charges and his background”.

Mr Pontello said a police station was about 2 kilometres from the campus and Mr Hayne would have no problem accessing the reporting location.

Approving the bail variations, Magistrate Robert Stone said the variations mitigate the risk to the community.

He said if Mr Hayne “absences himself from the course”, the court would be notified.

Magistrate Stone also ordered Mr Hayne continue to report to police three times a week and he cannot consume alcohol.

The court was told his trial was unlikely to start until September next year.

Dressed in a suit and tie, Mr Hayne stood before the court when Magistrate Stone committed him to stand trial in the District Court.

The two-time Dally M medallist will face the District Court on July 25 when he will be arraigned.

Topics:

sexual-offences,

rugby-league,

sport,

courts-and-trials,

newcastle-2300

First posted

July 03, 2019 16:56:25


Contact Carly Cook



More
stories from New South Wales

 

Read More